Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Vietnam War Novel - Part 3

It was settled now. A descendent of Vlad Dracula would be the antagonist. Time to research the historic Dracula. The best reference book seemed to be Dracula, Prince of Many Faces by Radu Florescu and Raymond McNally. I got the book. As I stated in The Red Dragon, "The Englishman, Stoker, had done a great disservice to a brilliant military commander. Dracula's battlefield genius was far overshadowed by the caricature of him as a vampire." I wrote those words and that's how I feel about the two Draculas. In Romania they have two different tours, one for the historic Vlad and another for Stoker's Count Dracula. Now, I had to get my antagonist's father into the Red Army. Research time. His father was a company commander in the 1st Mountain Brigade, 170th Infantry Division, 3rd Romanian Army. He was captured in the battle of Sevastopol early in 1941. After ten months in a Soviet POW camp he was allowed to join the Red Army as a private. He ended the war as a captain, a staff officer in the 6th Guards Mechanized Infantry Battalion. Seeing that I was writing a war story I only needed the military background stuff. Okay, now I had it. My antagonist was a descendent of Vlad Dracula and he was in the Soviet Army. Perfect. Time to write.

No comments: