Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Camp Tra Cu - July 29, 1969

I had the honor of speaking at the Memorial Service held at the Cullman County courthouse on Saturday, May 24, 2008. This is what I said:

My name is Clifford Gissell, I spent twenty-one years in the Army, twelve of those in Special Forces. One of those years was spent on the Cambodian border in Vietnam in Camp Duc Hue, a Special Forces border camp, designed to stop or slow the infiltration of communist forces. In that area it was the North Vietnamese Army.

A Special Forces team is broken down into six specialties: Two officers, two operation/intelligence sergeants, two weapons men, two medics, two communications sergeants, and two engineer/demolitions men. In the camp we required to keep at least one officer, one medic, and one commo guy. Everyone else could be out on combat operations.

The soldiers we had were from the Civilian Irregular Defense Group. These were hired, trained and used on combat operations by Special Forces. They’re best described as light infantry. Typically a camp would have five companies and two recon platoons. A combat operation would have one of two companies accompanied by two or three Americans.

In the next camp to our southeast, Tra Cu, SGT John Whisenant, a medic, was close to going home and wanted to go on one last operation. But he was the only medic in camp. My junior medic, SGT David Runner, agreed to go to Tra Cu and take his place in camp.

On July 29th, 1969, CPT James Amendola, the team leader, West Point grad, father of a three month old son who he had never seen, SGT John Whisenant, the medic, and SFC John Murphy, the senior Commo Sergeant, left Camp Tra Cu with one CIDG company, about 100 men. A typical field operation. Another CIDG company with three American had left earlier.

Six clicks, about three and a half miles west of camp, the first element encounters a large North Vietnamese Army force. After the initial contact they try to flank the enemy, the three Americans are wounded. Unable to get a medevac chopper, they’re pulled back from the contact.
The second element moves toward the contact. As they move into position, heavy machinegun fire opens up to their front. CPT Amendola and SGT Whisenant are killed immediately, SFC Murphy receives gunshot wounds to his legs, he drags himself into a bomb crater. By this time air support is on the way. Murphy coordinates the air strikes against the enemy.

Many of us listened to this engagement on the radio. I don't believe that we knew that Amendola and Whisenant were dead at this point. Mainly, we heard Murphy speaking with the air assets and Camp Tra Cu.

The camp sends out a call for help to the 25th Infantry Division. Delta Company2/27th Inf, the Wolfhounds, responds, they air assault into an area near the battleground to rescue the SF personnel Delta Company tries but cannot reach the Americans they lose six KIA in the attempt:

CPT James C. Kotrc, the company commander (Dist Svc Cross)
SFC Stephen D. Gleckler
SGT Larry L. Riddle
CPL Randall M. Denton
CPL John E. Hisey
SP4 Kris E. Shaw

Heavy enemy fire keeps Delta company pinned down, unable to advance. Helicopter gunships and Air Force fighter/bombers continue to pound the NVA.

Charlie Company is called in to reinforce Delta Company. Their company commander and several others were wounded but they finally reached the three SF. John Murphy had bled to death. Delta company retrieved the bodies of the dead Special Forces soldiers.

This was another small, mostly unknown, battle of the Vietnam War. Camp Tra Cu lost half of their team in one morning, the Wolfhounds had 6 KIA and more than 20 wounded. Just another day in the Vietnam War.

10 comments:

Hunter said...

Jim Kotrc's brother, Ron, is the rector of St John's Episcopal Church in Ketchikan, Alaska.
I'm sorry that I never had the chance to meet Jim Kotrc. Ron says that there I remind him of Jim quite often.
Hunter Davis
Ketchikan, AK

Anonymous said...

I grew up with Randy Denton in Lawrence, MA in the early to mid '60s. His brother, Wilfrid, was my best friend, and Randy, the older brother, was always tormenting us. I moved from Lawrence in '65, losing touch with the family after awhile. But I did note his loss, but never knew the circumstances until today. Thank you.
I wore Randy's KIA bracelet for many years before finally returning to Lawrence in 1990. I visited Randy's grave and placed it there; another bracelet was taken to the Wall and left by a former Green Beret brother.

Unknown said...

My name is Sally, and I am Joseph Peter Ruebel's sister. I just found out that Peter was KIA as part of this battle. I am breathless and stunned. Thank you to those who write about these tragedies. After all these years, now I know.

Jay said...

My name is James J. Amendola JR.... Over the years I have heard several accounts from people as to what happened to my father, but none so detailed... I cannot say how much I appreciate the courage and sacrifice shown on that day and how deeply sorry I am to everyone else who experienced loss on that fateful July day... To the other Special Forces soldiers that served with my father, all my 3 daughters and I can say is... Thank You...

John said...

I was stationed at Tra Cu with the US Navy PBRs (patrol boat river). We would set waterborn ambushes at night to prevent the NVAs from crossing the river. It seems this was part of their route into South Vietnam. All I can say about it, It was hell on earth there. The NVA realy didn't like us messing up their plans. So many have never heard of the PBR sailors that worked with the Seal teams, Green Berets, US Army and some mersinaries. When you first go to war you feel like it is going to be like something you see on TV. Not so. It is serious business and can scare the life out of you. Tra Cu still lives in my nightmares. Almost 43 years ago now. I am an old man and I hate war. It certainly isn't what the people in this world should be doing to eachother. Tra Cu was a very bad place. God bless all who gave there lives for their governments wishes. There is a long story here but, I really don't need to tell it. God Bless, John

Unknown said...

John Murphy was my beloved uncle Jack. My brother went into the service in honor of him. Murph had a huge impact on us and kids when he came home on leave for the last time before July 29 1969. My heart is deeply touched by this account. Such commitment to eachother these fine soldiers have and had far surpasses the definition of honorable. Thank you to all of those involved for their heroic attempts to bring the 3 SF home. words are just incapable of describing the deep appreciation. - It has been an honor to have been connected to some of the A326 recently in emails. you men are warrior angels on earth that endured the " hell on earth " of the TRA CU my heart embraces you all. -- Susan

Unknown said...

So honored to meet Dave Keefe this memorial day weekend. With our family at John Francis Murphy resting place. Our hearts will be with all connected on that day July 29 1969

Ray said...

Among my special prayers:

CPT James J. Amandola: from Closter, NJ, KIA 07/29/1969;
SFC John F. Murphy: from Wenatchee, WA; KIA 07/29/1969;
SGT John W. Whisenant: from Venice, CA; KIA 07/29/1969;
and teammates and friends:
SFC Marshall T. Markham: from Cumberland, NC; KIA 10/15/1969;
SFC Donald M. Shue: from Kannapolis, NC; MIA 11/03/1969; POW, remains returned 01/15.1975.
I have never forgotten you - nor will I. De oppresso liber!

I was then SGT Ray L. Towle, the replacement of Senior Radio Operator, SFC John Murphy (05B4S) at A326 Tra Cu.

MAJ Ray L. Towle, (Ret.) now in Sharpsburg, GA | E-mail: RayTowle@gmail.com
# # #

Mike Caron said...

Johnny Whisenant was in my SF medic class. He was a close friend of Al "Lurch" Mortensen, another of our medic class who died about the same time. Our class graduated at a unique time when the spigot of SF medics was briefly turned off by the Pentagon. The higher ups had just discovered we were sending more medics in country than they had authorized. That was mainly because the ethnic and religious minorities (and their dependents) who we worked with were not able to get treatment in our military hospitals. The Cau Dai, Hoa Hao, and Montagnards who formed most of the CIDG companies got terrible treatment in the Vietnamese hospitals because they faced severe discrimination and overt mistreatment. To the best of my knowledge only about half a dozen medics from my particular class managed to get to Vietnam. We six had to work absurdly hard to get those orders, which may seem preposterous to most folks. The first member of our class who managed to get to Vietnam, Jimmy O'Donnell, went AWOL and risked prison by getting past Pentagon security to demand the Army send him to Vietnam! Three of those six, Johnny, Al, and Ernie (Jamison), did not survive. I know I have a photo or two of Johnny somewhere from the long time we spent training together if any of his family wants to get in touch. Mike Caron mbcaron46@gmail.com

Dave said...

James, if you would like to communicate with some of us that were at TraCu with your dad, contact me at dckeefe46@Hotmail.com
I was Commo sgt on duty during the firefight.
Dave Keefe